The LEXIS (Large-scale EXecution for Industry & Society) Project is building an advanced engineering Platform at the confluence of High-performance computing (HPC), Cloud and Big Data which will leverage large-scale geographically-distributed resources from existing High-performance computing (HPC) infrastructure, employ Big Data Analytics solutions and augment them with Cloud services.
Driven by the requirements of the pilots, the LEXIS Platform, developed and build on best of breed data management solutions and advanced, distributed orchestration solutions, is augmenting them with new efficient hardware and software capabilities in the form of Data Nodes and federation, usage monitoring and accounting/billing supports to realize an innovative solution.
The consortium develops a demonstrator with a significant Open Source dimension including validation, test, and documentation. It is validated in three pilots – in the industrial and scientific sectors (Aeronautics, Earthquake and Tsunami, Weather and Climate).
On top of this validation via the 3 pilots, the consortium intends to add another level of validation via opening the LEXIS Platform to various type of projects in the framework of an Open Call.
One of the important objectives of the LEXIS project was to create Open Call mainly but not exclusively to the following key industrial sectors:
- Earthquake, Tsunami and Flooding,
- Weather and Climate
- Civil protection,
- Health Care,
- Life Sciences & Pharmaceuticals,
- Oil & Gas, Energy,
- Weather-related information services (e.g., for the EU Copernicus programme).
Computing scenario targeted:
- Classic computing
- Event-triggered computing (also named urgent computing)
- Artificial intelligence (machine learning, deep learning)
We targeted projects from various external stakeholders:
- Research organisations,
- Industry – big players,
- SMEs, and among them start-ups,
- Other projects from the EU funded ones (H2020 / EuroHPC) when possible and relevant.
The Open Call was organised in 2 stages:
- Stage 1: from June 2020, the LEXIS Consortium invited some specific projects to participate in this Open Call.
- Stage 2: from December 2020, the LEXIS Consortium published an Open Call where organisations submitted their Application Experiments Projects. The LEXIS Open Call Board then operated a selection among the submitted projects.